Thursday, June 4, 2009

Love...hate

I recently returned from a grand adventure in Europe with my roommate Amber. We had a fantastic time and ate a lot of pizza. Most importantly I think it lead to an important turning point in my life. Before embarking on the trip Amber and I, against my better judgment, purchased a pair of Chacos. I hate Chacos. I made a pact early in college, after being introduced to them in Happy Valley, that I would never, never own a pair. And if I ever were to break down Erin was assigned to kill me. Clearly Erin has failed in her duties as a friend. Nevertheless, the decision to make the purchase turned out to be a good idea.

After laying aside my preconceived notions and bias, I carefully selected what I deemed to be the least atrocious pair, for a reasonable price. I determined I would not spend more on gross sandals than I would on shoes I actually like and was quite successful.

Now, though I still find the shoe ugly, and not something to be combined with socks or worn to a formal affair-yes people think this ok- I have been converted. The shoe was wonderful for the following reasons:
They were light, as we were backpacking this was a necessity. They were cool in the warm weather. They were easily cleaned and could be worn in water. As one reviewer stated, "They can be worn with a skirt and look classy." I believed this and they therefore became my church shoe. It was a lie, I knew. But it worked. They are great for hiking. And the greatest feature, one I had not even planned on, was that they offered safety and protection. As I looked at Amber and myself sporting our Chacos each day I thought, "Who on earth would want to kidnapp us? We look like dopey hobos." So to the fashionista, be advised, they are not a good look if you're trying to attract the fellas. So thank you versitile shoe for saving my life and keeping us from being "Taken."

Sidenote. Now that I am home I do not plan to wear them again, unless I am actively forging a river. Or repelling a man.

2 comments:

Sammy said...

Justify all you want, you've crossed the line, there is no going back. I'm proud of you for coming out and saying so.

Mika McDaniel said...

lol... oh Lara, what were you thinking. :) I hope all is well! I miss you!