Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Labor Day Weekend
This is a few weeks late... I had Labor day off this year, the first national holiday I've had off since Thanksgiving! So, Tommy and I decided to go to Mexico. We're not talking resort Mexico, we're talking Baja peninsula, drive from our house across the border through Tijuana, Mexico. Tommy had been before on some surf trips and vouched for the safety, and since I am writing this obviously we made it back without being kidnapped or beheaded. Yes! and we had a good time. It was only a few hours drive. When we first got to Tijuana I thought I would be spending the next 3 days in hell. Luckily we quickly left and continued south to Gaviotas (I think). We stayed in a condo in a little gated community, I think most the places are owned by Americans.
Everything was great until we tried to turn on the power...none. And it was hot. To make a long story short the girl in charge of paying utilities had not and the power company (apparently run by the Mexican government) would not be open again til Monday. As it was a federal issue we could not just turn the power on ourselves, though the breaker box was accessible and we could reach the switch, unless we wanted to end up in Mexican jail. No thanks. After a candle lit dinner luckily a man (pretty sure not from the power company) came and cut the lock and returned our power. Hooray for ceiling fans!
We spent the next few days at the beach, Tommy surfed his little heart out. The waves were HUGE! We drove down to Ensaenada and bought some over priced souvenirs, enjoyed some authentic tacos and had a nice relaxing weekend. It only took 2 hours to get back across the boarder (last time it took Tommy 6).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The waves were huge--I had no idea. Glad you guys made it back!
Post a Comment