Thursday, December 20, 2012

Lockdown

A baby update... I am 36 weeks as of Tuesday, yay! On Monday I was having some contractions, so the doctor  had me come in to check it out.  They hooked me up to some monitors, and I was having contractions about every 3 minutes, but they weren't really doing anything, and they didn't hurt.  Which I was happy about because I was not ready to have the baby, and was worried he wasn't ready to come at just under 36 weeks. As they were monitoring me, however they saw that when I did have contractions his little heart rate would drop.  They did a few tests and decided to admit me for continuous monitoring.  The contractions eventually slowed to just occasionally. The fun part; since his heart rate dropped during contractions and continued to do so even with my less frequent contractions, the doctors decided I needed to continue to be monitored in the hospital until he is born. In a month.
He is still too early to be induced as he is safe where he is for now, and his lungs need to develop a little more. So the plan is just to monitor me until I go into labor, and if that hasn't happened by 39 weeks induce me, or if he gets into real distress at any point perform a c-section. So hospital room 420 is my new home for the next while. Though I really can't complain, the baby is safe, I am fine. My mobility is limited to my bed and the bathroom since I'm hooked up to the monitor. Although today I was allowed out for a half hour walk. Yippee, first time out of my room since Monday. So that is that. The doctor said the best thing is if I were to just go into labor myself, so that is the hope. And hopefully baby tolerates it well when I do. Tommy is now in charge of all the baby prep that hasn't been done, while I lounge about all day. Like I said, it could be worse.
Our hospital outing.

No comments: